Saturday, December 7, 2013

Vicksburg National Cemetery

Entrance to Vicksburg National
Military Park

The following photos were taken within the Vicksburg National Cemetery which is part of the Vicksburg Military Park. Union soldiers who died during the Vicksburg campaign were buried in this cemetery established by Congress in 1866. Countless other unknown Union soldiers buried in battlefields throughout the southern states have since been re-interred here.





The statue below is dedicated to Brig. Gen. Lloyd Tilghman who was killed by a sniper at the Battle of Champion Hill as he covered the Confederate retreat back to Vicksburg from that battle.

Brig. Gen. Lloyd Tilghman



Drive through the Vicksburg Military Park

2 comments:

  1. Hello Beverly,
    I just stumbled upon your Tombstone Travels blog, and I have to laugh just a bit. My wife's name is, Beverly, my nickname is, Tombstone, and I have a blog, 2mbstones travels... :)

    I made a post back in 2014 about my great-grandfathers tombstone; http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2014/09/great-grampas-tombstone.html

    Anyway, you have an interesting blog and beautiful pictures!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,

    Thanks for writing. As you can see, I've been neglecting my blog the last couple of years. I thought when I retired, I would have all manner of time to spend roaming around cemeteries and such but it hasn't worked out that way.

    I checked out your post about your great-grandfather's tombstone. Looks like an eventful and interesting trip. Thanks for sharing.

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete